1) Some people believe In God - He exists, He is Sovereign, He is a Creator etc.
2) Some people believe in beliefs about God - He is loving, He is kind, He is merciful
We also have beliefs about those beliefs about God
- It wouldn’t be loving to allow my child to die
- It wouldn’t be kind to allow my partner to leave me
- It wouldn’t be merciful to let those I love go to hell
Those beliefs about love and kindness and mercy become our beliefs about God.
. A loving God wouldn’t allow my child to die
. A kind God wouldn’t allow my partner to leave me
. A merciful God will make those I love become Christians
So when our child dies or when our husband / wife leaves, or when those we love remain hostile and angry toward God, some people come to a conclusion NOT that their beliefs about God were wrong, but that their belief in the existence of God must be wrong.
Now, God may NOT exist, but His existence is not, will not and indeed cannot be proven based on the twists and turns of life’s journey.