Saturday, December 26, 2009

True Christmas Story

My wife and her sister look alike. They REALLY look alike. Have I told this story? Eh, I’ll tell it again.

They look so much alike that when I got my graduate degree, one of our friends, someone that we saw every single week, went up to Wendy’s sister and said something like, “So Rod did it!” My sister-in-law said, “I bet you think you're talking to Wendy.”

They really look alike. Anyhow -

About 10 years ago we had some people over for a meal during the holidays. My wife’s sister and husband were among the guests. As it turned out, my wife and her sister were wearing the same outfit so they looked even more alike than usual. After a good meal we all rose from the table and were just kind of standing around, holding our drinks and visiting. The mood was very friendly and close and perhaps even romantic could have been used to describe the atmosphere. I was holding my wife from behind, my hands on her hips, pulling her close, kinda rocking back and forth.

Then something unusual happened.

From where I was standing I could see that the neighbour’s porch light was being turned on and off. I went to look out the window and as I walked to the door, I glanced into the adjoining room. Imagine my surprise to see my WIFE arranging some gifts under the tree.

My wife was in another room!

If my wife was in a different room, who was I holding REALLY close? I whirled around to see my sister-in-law with a look on her face that words really can't describe.

I’m lucky that I didn’t get a broken nose from her elbow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know what this means? Your brother-in-law gets one freebie.

Thesauros said...

Oy!