Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Peace!

“Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called sons of God.” Matthew 5:9

“And God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself.” I love that verse. Peacemakers go out of their way to heal the situation. It doesn’t matter that it isn’t fair. It doesn’t matter that the other person did wrong or even continues to do wrong. Reconciliation requires that someone do the hard thing and give peace to the other.

Of course, some might point out that we cannot give away what we do not ourselves possess. Hmm, good point. To make peace we must have peace, own peace, live peace, know peace.

“You don’t give a fuck about anybody, do you?” That line will stick with me till the day I die. Another lifetime ago, a co worker said that to me - with a tone of admiration if you can imagine.

Ah me, the pain of who I was, of who I am.

I’ve known violence. I’ve lived violence. I’ve loved violence.

While I’m a long, long way from who I want to be, need to be, this I know - Peace is not something manufactured. Nor, as the drug addicted wife abusing John Lennon once believed, is peace something that can be brought about by staying in bed for a long time.

. I now have peace because I received peace from the Author of peace.

. I now have peace because I am able to lean back into the warm and loving and protective arms of my Creator and Saviour.

. I now have peace because I know beyond all doubt that I can trust God in every area of my life.

. I now have peace because though I reside on earth, I am a citizen of heaven.

. I now have peace because I know that God will and does work in all circumstances for my good; the good of making me, little by little, more like Jesus.

What’s been broken, He restores. What’s been wounded, He heals.

. I now have peace NOT because I have it all figured out. I now have peace because I allowed my Lord and my Saviour Jesus the Christ to fill me with His peace.

“I lie down and sleep in peace, because you alone O Lord provide for my safety." Pslams

No comments: