Monday, January 4, 2010

All The Way To The Net

Watching Canada win its game in the World Junior Hockey Championships via an overtime shootout, reminded me of a life lesson.

In a hockey shoot out, each side picks its best three players. Each player takes the puck from centre ice and tries to score a goal. The side that scores the most goals wins the game - duh!

Here’s something pretty obvious in hockey but often overlooked in life.
Not one of the players took their shot from centre ice.
Not one of the players skated part way to the net and shot from the blue line.
Not one of the players coasted passed the blue line and pushed the puck toward the net.

Every single one of the players went all the way to the net.
Every single one of the players went all the way to the net and did their absolute best to get the puck past the goalie.

In life, we need to go hard and we need to go all the way to the net. Half efforts are pitiful and a waste of time.

When I go to bed at night I want to know that God knows that I went all the way to the net.
I want to know that I made every effort to obey Him.
I want to know that I didn’t push God’s love away so that I could take easy road.

Here’s the beautiful part of God’s salvation. Regardless of whether I score, God’s love for me is unconditional. His main interest is my effort. No matter what, He cares about me. No matter what, God’s grace and mercy envelope me in the most unnatural love in the universe.

All that my Creator expects of me is for me to go all the way to the net.

No comments: