Monday, January 18, 2010

Amazing Grace

How sweet the sound to those of us who have accepted God’s offer of forgiveness. To those still fighting against their Creator the thought is anything but sweet.

The scenarios typically given by atheists involve Hitler or a paedophile. While I think that atheists will be quite satisfied with the punishment that Hitler receives(assuming they will be able to focus on anything but their own fate), their point is that, in theory, just before he died, Hitler or a paedophile could have genuinely repented of h/her actions and received forgiveness from h/her Creator. An example of this actually happening is given in the Gospels in the account of one of the criminals who was crucified with Jesus, asking for forgiveness and Jesus saying to this criminal, "Today, you will be in paradise with Me."

Preposterous, ridiculous, unfair, absurd, insane are just some of the ways that God’s grace, as demonstrated through His offer of forgiveness to all who ask, is described.

One atheist described it this way.

“All those twisted bastards have to do is say, "Heavenly Father, in Jesus' name I repent of my sins and open my heart to let Jesus come inside of me. I come before you that I’m guilty. I admit to you that I’ve done horrible things to many people. Jesus, You are my Lord and Savior and even though I’m a degenerate scum, I believe you died for my sins and you were raised from the dead. Fill me with your Holy Spirit. Thank You Father for saving me in Jesus' name. Amen.” See. [Anybody] gets to go to heaven. You accept Jesus as your personal lord and savior and whatever you’ve done, it no longer matters. Ignoring that you might have even killed a child? NOT IMPORTANT. Because according to the New Testament, all you have to do is ask for forgiveness and BAMMO. Get out of hell free card. FUCK THAT!”

Ironic, isn’t it? Atheists are repelled by how unfair the grace of God seems to them. They WANT people to be punished. And yet, and YET atheists demand that God should ignore THEIR sins, forgive them without ANY repentence on their part, and force them against their will to spend eternity in His presence.

And if He won’t do that (and He won’t force anyone to go against their wishes) atheists pout and pretend He doesn’t exist AND at the same time tell Creator God to His face, “This is why I refuse to believe in You!”

No comments: