Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Not In My Universe

Atheists say they have good reason to be atheists. For example:

Atheists observe a reasonable universe.

Atheists observe a universe and think that's no big deal.

Atheists observe a mathematically precise universe.

Atheists observe a universe and think that's no big deal.

Atheists observe a universe the operates according to order and logic.

Atheists observe a universe and think that's no big deal.

Atheists observe a universe that is known and knowable and because of that atheists correctly conclude that order and truth and logic exist because - well - hmm - with only the evidence of nature allowed, there really ISN'T any reason why things should be the way they are. According to atheists, things are just this way because we’re really, really lucky.

Based on the multi verse theory, there WILL be a universe where atheists think logically, but it doesn’t happen in our universe - does it?

Based on the multi verse theory, there WILL be a universe where people accept that logic and truth and reason can only exist if they are the result of an unchanging objective Source and Standard of logic and order and design. But that’s not our universe.

In our universe we have atheists.

In our universe atheists don’t make sense.

In our universe, logic and order and truth aren’t the reasons for people becoming atheists.

In our universe, atheism is not based on what is observed, or measured or tested and calculated.

In our universe, atheism is a chosen world-view that is then IMPOSED upon science to force a conclusion that cannot possibly be reached upon the basis of observation and testing.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually took a poll on my site, which is read primarily by atheists, and most people did not believe in parallel universes.

Also, you should really stick to telling us what theists think, because you clearly don't even know where to begin on what atheists think.

Thesauros said...

You mean that atheists DON'T think they have good reasons for being atheists? Then we have more in common that I first thought.

You mean when Freeman Dyson says that our universe exists because of many lucky accidents, no other atheists agree with him?

Unknown said...

To be honest, the topic of why the universe exists doesn't come up often enough for me to care. I suppose it could be a random accident, I suppose it would be planned, I suppose it could be luck, I suppose it could be fated, I suppose it could be one of many things.

I do know one way of identifying those who I should ignore in the discussion: those who are not even experts but claim to know with certainty that which many experts are unsure of.

Unknown said...

I forgot to add: that can include both religious and scientific stances.

Strawman athiest said...

I observe a universe and I think that's no big deal.

The New Atheist said...

Given the snarky comments you leave on my blog (TheNewAtheist.com), I expected your blog to be more substantive. It appears to be comprised of xeroxed slogans and shallow reasoning. I agree with Ginx, you should stick to talking theism, as your grasp on atheism is (predictably) rudimentary .

The New Atheist said...

I do applaud you for not having comment moderation though. Most theist blogs (like theist organizations) censor free exchange.

Thesauros said...

I do applaud you for not having comment moderation"

:-) That's exactly my complaint about atheist blogs - the censorship I mean.

Anonymous said...

Are there any big Theist blogs without moderation?

Zzzst said...

Are there any big Theist blogs without moderation?

Maybe not the big ones but some smaller theists blogs don't have moderation. But theist blogs are much much more likely to have moderation/comment approval turned on. Atheists seem to like all viewpoints but theists often just want people to comment with "Amen!!!!!" or be banned.