Wednesday, August 12, 2009

That is Sooo Old!

I was just thinking, again, how atheists discount historical accounts from the Bible because they’re “Old.” I was reminded again this morning by an atheist of the old, old and I mean old concept that there is no such thing as truth - no objective truth, I mean.

It was a guy named Protagoras, who was born roughly 500 years before Jesus, who said, as do present day atheists, that “community standards,” were the basis of truth. Not many have heard of Protagoras. And he was certainly not the first atheist to think of this. People have been looking for excuses to do what they want for as long as we’ve existed. However, he is one for whom I have a quote. Plato quoted Protagoras when he said, “Man is the measure of all things. As such, any given thing is to me as it appears to me, and is to you such as it appears to you.”

Ah, those atheists. Still clinging to centuries old thoughts and beliefs.

3 comments:

PersonalFailure said...

You can't be serious. You're clinging to bronze age myths and accusing us of clinging to old beliefs?

Thesauros said...

That's pretty much the point of the post, yes.

J Curtis said...

PF, the entire "bronze age myths" idea of yours would imply that you carefully considered the Bible and it's claims made and thusly arrived at your "myths" conclusion". Or did you not consider certain facts?