Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Grandpa Falls Asleep

I was just remembering a visit to see my grandparents on my mother’s side. My grandpa, that grandpa, was a drunk. He and my grandmother lived in the basement of this house (he constantly bought and sold houses) while renting out the upstairs. Grandpa was also an electrician, as became all of his sons. The part of the visit that I remember is grandpa passing out at the dinner table. His head fell splat into a plate of mashed potatoes and peas. For all I knew, he could have been dead. I was maybe six years old. Nobody said anything. I looked first at my mother and then at my grandmother. Neither of them seemed to know what to do. So they just left him there. Mom packed up our things. We put on our coats and we quickly left. I’ve always wondered if grandpa ever fell out of that chair or if he just stayed like that, with his face in the mashed potatoes, until he woke up.

No comments: