Sunday, June 21, 2009

It’s all behind me now

I can list what many might think are impressive credentials. You know my pedigree; a legitimate birth, circumcised on the eighth day; an Israelite from the elite tribe of Benjamin; a strict and devout adherent to God’s law; a fiery defender of the purity of my religion, even to the point of persecuting the Church; a meticulous observer of everything set down in God’s law Book.

The very credentials these people are waving around as something special, I’m tearing up and throwing out with the trash - along with everything else I used to take credit for. And why? Because of Christ. Yes, all the things I once thought were so important are gone from my life. Compared to the high privilege of knowing Christ Jesus as my Master, firsthand, everything I once thought I had going for me is insignificant - worth less than dog dung. I’ve dumped it all in the trash so that I could embrace Christ and be embraced by Him. I didn’t want some petty, inferior brand of righteousness that comes from keeping a list of rules when I could get the robust kind that comes from trusting Christ - God’s righteousness.

I gave up all that inferior stuff so I could know Christ personally, experience His resurrection power, be a partner in his suffering, and go all the way with him to death itself. If there was any way to get in on the resurrection from the dead, I wanted to do it.

I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward - to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back. So let’s keep focussed on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us.

We’re waiting the arrival of the Saviour, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthly bodies into glorious bodies like His own.
Paul the Apostle

5 comments:

D. A. N. said...

Simply...Amen.

Apparently I need to clean out my own "garage" as I reflect on my own viewpoints of the Gospel.

Thanks for that it was...cleansing.

The Maryland Crustacean said...

Nice modern vernacular of Philippians 3. It brings it closer to home.

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I am quite impressed with yours. :-)

D. A. N. said...

Philippians 3? Aw, I missed that. No wonder I liked it so much. :7)

feeno said...

Mak
I had to take a double take, I thought I was on the wrong site. I'm used to seeing you being lambasted by your faithful following of Atheist friends.

(2 Tim. 4:8). That's what your post reminded me of. Thanx, feeno

Thesauros said...

Ya I know. I'm so used to pushing back that when it wasn't there I stumbled forward a couple steps.