Sunday, October 12, 2008

Rep. John Lewis retracts his retraction.

The civil rights icon issued a statement Saturday evening which said a "careful review" of his remarks made earlier in the day "would reveal that I did not compare Sen. John McCain or Gov. Sarah Palin to George Wallace."

As a hush fell on the crowed press room, Mr. Lewis followed, “All I said was that comments made by George Wallace in the past were nearly identical to the comments being made by McCain and Palin today. By pointing out that if four little girls just happen to get killed by a bomb while going to church in the next few weeks, I was just saying that we’ll know exactly who to blame - George Wallace. And, if I may add, I was clearly stating that the racist views of McCain and Palin are nothing like the racist views of Governor Wallace. So, as you can see, I did not in any way compare McCain and Palin to former Gov. George Wallace, although what he said sure sounds a lot like what they’re saying, but not the other way around. I’ve got to go. Thank you.”

No comments: