Monday, November 5, 2007

So, tell me about Jesus.

I had a dream one night. I was standing before God’s Throne of Judgement. All around me was every person who had ever been born. Those that I had known, specifically those with whom I had worked as a Counsellor were highlighted so that they stood out from the rest. My unsaved neighbours, the people at the Grocery Store, the mechanic and dentist, all the people that I’d seen on a regular and semi regular basis who didn't know Jesus as Lord and Saviour were facing me and pointing toward me.

As they were being separated for eternity in Hell, they were saying to me, almost in unison, and with passion, “You new about this and you said nothing about it to me. Why didn’t you warn me? Why didn’t you love me enough to tell me about Jesus and forgiveness and salvation? What’s wrong with you that you’d treat me like that? I thought you were my friend.”

What IS wrong with me? If I knew for a fact that Jesus was returning tomorrow, could I even say for sure that I’d spend the rest of today telling people about what’s at stake? Would it make any difference to anyone? Would anyone listen? Those of course are the questions that stop me before I’m even off the couch and the answer that I always come up with is “No.” What a coward I am. How can I claim to love others yet keep from them the most important information that they’ll ever hear?

Jesus may not come back tomorrow, but by the end of today any number of those that I know may be in eternity. What am I going to do about that?

2 comments:

G-man said...

No worries, Rod. To demonstrate true love, all you have to do is burn almost everybody in Hell for eternity just because they don't believe in you. That's the very model you should strive to live up to.

Thesauros said...

Hmm, I wonder if you even want a response.

I know what you’re saying. From your perspective there is no rationality to that kind of punishment. It seems beyond cruel.

From my side of the fence however, I see God’s love in that He was willing to take His own punishment so that you and I wouldn’t have to pay the price of our rebellion all by ourselves.

God came to earth to live the horrors that the human race has to suffer as a result of the sin that you seem to make so little of. He was tortured to death for your sake and for the sake of everyone. He is simply trying to rescue people from a spiritual reality. History as we know it is has a beginning and an end. There are going to be consequences for those who have been on the side of destroying the earth and it’s inhabitants - that means all of us.

For those who don’t repent of that stance, well, you know the story.

Anyway, being willing to rescue me, and you for that matter, from what we deserve seems like love to me.