Thursday, November 1, 2007

Jesus said, "Who do you say that I Am?"

Until he died of cancer, my Father-in-law and I used to have a running debate re: Christianity. I was pretty new to the faith, while over the decades he had perfected his arguments against the Church and God etc. One of the things that bothered him quite a bit was, ‘If Jesus is the only way to God, what is God going to do about those who have never heard about Jesus?” He seemed to think that question was somehow an insurmountable hurdle for Christians to answer.

I suppose that if someone doesn’t have anything better to think about it might be a good question to ponder for a minute or two. Most of us, however do have other things to do, and getting worked up about questions to which there will never be any clear answer seems to me to be a waste of time.

At any rate, this is what I know and this is what I said to Jake. “God loves people who haven’t heard of Jesus more than you and I ever will. Jesus died for them. That makes me confident that whatever happens as a result of their not hearing about Jesus, it will be absolutely fair. A question that is far more relevant and far more important is, “What will God do about everyone who has heard about Jesus and still insists on rejecting His teaching that “I Am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.””

Jake’s only response was, “Yes, that’s a better question.”

No comments: