Wednesday, July 30, 2008

2 Secure Sources of Joy

I comment from time to time about the incredible amount of joy and peace that Jesus pours into my life. Despite the death of a child, despite the challenges, joys and sorrows of raising brain damaged children, despite almost five decades of crippling arthritis, childhood sexual abuse and on and on, the presence of my Redeemer and Saviour causes me to feel as though I’ve lived a charmed life. Peace and contentment are simply part of the package that Jesus has delivered to me along with His salvation. The Holy Spirit, His assurance of my standing with my Creator, His comfort, counsel, discipline and guidance has provided for me the greatest source of joy and peace available to a human being.

John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

The second source of joy for me and for all other Christians who have cast in their lot with Creator God is that our lives have congruence. We are not forced to live under constant contradiction of circumstance as are those who believe there is no God. Our feelings match our beliefs. We have hope. We have a future. We have protection and wisdom and insight. Living with the knowledge of a Creator God brings to one’s life meaning and context and purpose.

This is simply impossible for atheists. For them, all of life is logically and reasonably absurd, ludicrous, preposterous. Their belief system must of necessity lead to the conclusion that life is a farcical tragedy because they are an accident and so is the universe. As atheists must admit they are nothing but a mass of firing neurons and chemical exchanges. The only logical conclusion to atheist beliefs regarding their existence is that their lives possess no inherent meaning or purpose, no intrinsic value or worth. If atheists experience joy and hope in this life it is only because they are fraudulently stealing these things from a reality they don’t believe in. For atheists to experience meaning and purpose in this life, they must either pretend to have or they must believe in a delusional manner that something in this accidental life can have and/or give meaning and purpose to them.

John 8:32 “Then you will know the Truth and the Truth will set your free.”

No comments: