Friday, April 10, 2009

I saw an atheist running . . .

I saw an atheist running down the street this morning. This is how it happened. I was sitting in my chair around 8:30am. Kids were coming down the street on their way to school. One girl, about 12-years-old got to the end of her driveway when something caught her attention. She turned back towards the house as fast as she could. Obviously she didn’t quite make it to the door in time because out of the house, off the driveway and down the street raced her little atheist. She tried to catch him but the little atheist came burning around the corner with a big grin on his face, his tongue hanging out, his ears high and alert and he was barking as loudly as he could, “I’m free! I’m free! I’m free!”

Typical of all atheists, this little bugger never gave a thought to:
Who is it that really takes care of me?
Who keeps me warm?
Who keeps me safe?
Who gives me food?
He actually believed - I can do this all on my own!!!

Whether he likes it or not, within a few days this little atheist will know the difference between good and not good.

The following individual best describes today’s modern atheist:

S/He is a lonely, intrepid figure, deprived of cosmic hope, abandoned to h/his own wits, navigating h/her way through the heavens, pitting h/herself against the unknown, refusing to accept the tyrannical sovereignty of God, rebelling against the divine decree, and determined to build out of h/his own resources a rival empire devoted to happiness in the here and now.

This of course is Milton’s description of satan in “Paradise Lost.”

No comments: