Friday, October 12, 2007

If I Grow Up To Be Just Like My Dad . . .

When I think about my dad, the impression that I get is that of a boulder on the shore of an ocean - almost the size of a house - round, solid, secure in it’s position, unmoved by any storm.

When I think about my dad, the impression that I get is that of a huge ocean-going cargo ship, plowing inexorably through the stormy sea. I think of his huge shoulders shrugging off the waves of life. I remember once in grade 10 when I had silently vowed to myself that if he tried to keep me from going out I was going to slug him right in the face. All he said was, “See you in the morning.” Lucky for me.

When I think about my dad I remember him as strong yet gentle. What he lacked in intellectual ability he more than made up for in wisdom and insight. I think he had a learning disability. Nothing worked for him on paper but correct solutions to problems tumbled easily out of his head. He was humble and courageous. Dad wasn’t afraid to stand alone in his beliefs. This drove me crazy because it felt like I had to bear the scorn of the community with him. "If they hated Me, they will hate you also." I can still see his big hands. Once when I was about seven-years-old, and refusing to budge from a blatant lie, I remember wondering if a person’s teeth could be jarred loose from being walloped on the rear end.

Like Jesus, my dad craved a friendship with me but he never tried to force it. Like Jesus, dad didn’t want me to know about evil. On the other hand, again like Jesus, he didn’t foolishly try to stop me from exploring it.

My dad spent time with me. My dad talked with me. My dad loved me. I’ll never have to question or doubt that my dad loved me.

When I think about my dad, it’s like watching a ten-pin bowling ball moving in slow motion straight down the centre of the lane. No curve, no fancy spin and certainly no gutter. Just a good solid strike.

My dad died in October, 2003 at the age of 89. If I grow up to be just like my dad, I’ll be a good man, a good husband, a good dad. If I grow up to be just like my dad, I’ll be someone that makes the world a better place in which to live. I hope that I grow up to be just like my dad.

1 comment:

G-man said...

Really? Doesn't that mean God will burn you in Hell?

Or did I get the wrong impression?