Monday, October 8, 2007

The Christian's Great Defensive Line

Jesus said at one point that He will build His Church and that nothing, not even hell itself will be able to stand against it. I believe that’s true but my oh my, we Christians sure can block and frustrate His attempts. Atheists and sceptics try they hardest to eliminate Christianity. They waste years and years of their lives arguing against what they claim to be the equivalent of a spaghetti monster. Here’s a hint atheists! Save yourself a lot of energy and just let we Christians destroy Christianity ourselves. If I lived long enough I could probably do it all by myself.

The level of unbelief, born out by how we live, coupled with our hypocritical claims of tremendous faith do more to block not-yet-believer’s attempts to hear God than anything anti-theists could muster. Our depending on money, relationships, power and position to find our worth make it impossible for those outside of Christ to recognise His wooing voice. Our inter-Church disagreements and judging outsiders from the pages of Leviticus while we live under the Old Covenant make God’s love impossible for the lost to experience.

Yes, Jesus will indeed win the game in the end, but it will be with very little thanks to His teammates, me included. What an amazing thing then that knowing all this, Jesus still chose us to be part of His family, to be His fellow labourers, to call us back home when we’re so prone to wander. What an amazing Grace that saved a wretch like me.

No comments: