Saturday, January 13, 2007

I'm Too Great A Sinner, therefore I could never become a Christian

I Could Never Become A Christian because I’m too great a sinner:
I remember believing, mistakenly as it turns out, that I couldn’t approach God until I had become a good person; or at least a better person. Fortunately for all of us, it doesn’t work that way. Jesus came to earth on a rescue mission precisely because we are not good. In fact, the worse we are the more compassion He seems to have on us because our degree of "badness" is simply a symptom of how badly we need rescuing. About the worst we can become is thinking that we're actually pretty good; that we're better than others.
1st Timothy 1:15,16 - "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on Him and receive eternal life."
This was said by a guy had people tortured to death because they were followers of Jesus. Yet Jesus forgave Him and transformed his life as He has transformed the lives of millions of others.
Romans 5:6 - "You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly."
Even before we wanted anything to do with God and before we knew that we needed help, Jesus provided a way for us to begin a new life, free from guilt and free from slavery to our old nature.
Matthew 9:12 & 13 - Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

There are no people that are so good that they don’t need forgiveness from God. There are no people so bad that they cannot receive forgiveness from God upon repentance.

No comments: