Monday, December 4, 2006

Christianity is all about what you can't do! It takes away your freedom.

When I make it my goal to place my faith in Jesus, to obey Jesus; and when I have a healed, forgiven, personal relationship with Jesus then I lose all my freedom:
. I can’t know how it feels to give in to thoughts and behaviours that make my life worse.
. I can’t know the confusion of living a life where right and wrong are relative to the situation; where I make my own rules based on a ‘wisdom’ that’s repeatedly failed me.
. I can’t know the uncertainty that comes with lying whenever it suits and having to remember my lies, and cover up my lies by telling more lies.
. I can’t know what it’s like to die with uncertainty over where I’ll spend eternity.
. I can’t live a life where I don’t experience and enjoy unconditional love - daily.
. I can’t know what it’s like to destroy my family by cheating on my spouse.
. I can’t become a bitter, angry, vengeful, complaining, unforgiving person.
. I can’t develop the cold heart that makes me take advantage of people.
. I can’t carry resentments toward those who have hurt me in the past.
. I can’t get caught up in worrying about what tomorrow might bring.
. I can’t feel frustration over how people aren’t treating me right.
. I can’t know what it’s like to not have hope for the future.
. I can’t know what it’s like to not have more than I need.
. I can’t know what it’s like to not have purpose in life.
. I can’t know what it’s like to not have joy in my soul.
. I can’t bring home sexually transmitted diseases.
. I can’t go through the heartache of failed affairs.
. I can’t have a lousy marriage or get divorced.
. I can’t lose my license for impaired driving.
. I can’t know what it’s like to be afraid.
. I can’t struggle with drug addiction.
. I can’t be an unspiritual person.
. I can’t feel alienated from God.
. I can’t carry a load of guilt.
. I can’t go to Hell!
. I can’t experience what it’s like to not know for certain that I have value and worth.
. I can't experience what it's like to not know for certain that I have security and belonging.
This value and worth, security and belonging are not based on who I am, or on what others think about me. They're based on a love so great that my Creator died for me to pay for my sins. That’s the kind of love I can trust. It will never leave me or fail me.
The freedom to experience all this earthly crud has been taken from me, not because of my goodness, but because of God’s grace. Because of that:
. I’m forced to bask in God’s love and mercy and peace and grace every day of my life
. I’m forced to enjoy the complete and total and eternal forgiveness for my sins
. I’m forced to become aware of, and enjoy new mercies each and every day
. I’m forced to know what it’s like to be free from guilt
. I’m forced to spend eternity in Heaven with my Creator

No comments: