Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hug an Atheist

I’m being prayed for. My attitude toward atheists has caused someone to begin praying that I might become a different sort of person, especially in the way that I treat those who mock me, ridicule the God I love, and suggest that I should have my children taken from me.

[The Christian God is] “Arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it, a petty, unjust, unforgiving control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynist, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” Richard Dawkins

I’m told that I’m ignorant and judgmental.

“All religions and all churches are equally demented in their belief in the existence of the divine.”Christopher Hitchens

I’m told that I don’t respect atheists and that I should show the love of Jesus toward them.

“Faith is one of the world’s great evils, comparable to the smallpox virus but harder to eradicate.”Richard Dawkins

I'm told that I should love atheists the way that Jesus would love them.

“Some propositions are so dangerous that it may even be ethical to kill people for believing them.” Sam Harris.

I’ve been told that if I want atheists to respect me than I must show respect to them.

“Religion is capable of driving people to such dangerous folly that faith seems to me to qualify as a kind of mental illness.” Richard Dawkins

The most powerful atheists in the world are advocating that Christians no longer be allowed to teach their children about Jesus.

“How can we ever know how many children had their psychological and physical lives irreparably maimed by the compulsory inculcation of faith?” Christopher Hitchens.

The atheist answer is to inculcate all children with their beliefs.

“How much do we regard children as being the property of their parents? Should [Christian parents] be free to impose their beliefs on their children?” Richard Dawkins.

Love him. Love him. Love him.

“Parents don’t literally own their children . . . [Christian parents] ought to be held accountable by outsiders (read atheists) for their guardianship, which does imply that outsiders have a right to interfere.” Daniel Dennett

To this I’m supposed to show humility, love and respect.

“ [Christian] Parents, have no god-given license to enculturate their children in whatever way they choose . . . to bring them up in an atmosphere of dogma . . . or to insist they follow the straight and narrow paths of their own faith.”Nicholas Humphrey

"Respect for others and appreciation of their differences from one's self is the hallmark of an enlightened and tolerant individual." Michael Edward Davis - Self appointed atheist spokesperson chastising me for my disrespectful attitude toward atheists.

“And Jesus bent down and washed the feet of Judas.”

Ugh. I’ve done it again. I cycle and cycle and cycle through this all the time.
I’m shown where I’m wrong.
Determine to change my ways.
Stop reading atheist blogs.
Stop dissing people.
Blog about something else.
‘Well, I’ll read just a couple atheist blogs.’
‘Did you see what he said?
‘How can that be allowed without a challenge?’
Rip and roar and tear down.
Repeat.
Sorry - Really!

No comments: