Monday, February 19, 2007

Any Person Who's Good Enough Will Certainly Find Salvation

Don’t Listen To The Lies About Salvation!
There seems to be a whole lot of comments by non Christians about what is required by the "Christian Faith" to attain salvation. There is the ubiquitous "Try to be as good a person as you can be." I read recently the comment, "To be saved you have to make as many people convert to Christianity as you can." Then there is the facetious (I think) "Don’t do anything that you enjoy." Or, "Read the Bible and pray a lot." "Obey all the rules in the Bible." "Go to Church all the time." "Give away your money." "You have to be baptised." "Be sincere in whatever you believe." "Ask for forgiveness just before you die." "Don’t kill anybody," and so on.

These comments all have one thing in common. According to the Bible, all of them are wrong. So I wonder, why do people say that these are things that Christianity teaches? Is it because these people are completely ignorant of the teachings of Jesus? Or is it more sinister? Do they know what the Bible teaches about salvation but are deliberately trying to deceive other people? I suppose it’s some of each.

While perhaps boring to read, there is only one way to set the record straight and that’s to document what the Bible actually says about how we receive forgiveness of our sins and how we "get" eternity in the presence of our Creator instead of eternal banishment from the presence of our Creator.
John5:24 - Jesus said, I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes in him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

John 6:40 - Jesus said, For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life.

John 8:24 - Jesus said, If you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be you will indeed die in your sins.

John 3:3 - Jesus said, I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.

John 3:16,18 - Jesus said, For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Whoever believes in [Jesus] is not condemned.

John 3:36 - Whoever believes in the Son (Jesus) has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.

John 14:6 - Jesus said, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Titus 3:11 - For the grace of God which brings salvation has appeared to all people.

Acts 16:30, 31 - Sir what must I do to be saved? Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.

Ephesians 2:8 - For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works so that no one can boast.

Revelation 3:20 - Jesus said, Here I am. I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me.

Romans 3:22, 28 - This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. ... [We are] justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. [We are] justified apart from observing the Law.

Romans 6:23 - For the consequences of sin is death in hell, but the gift of God is eternal life in and through Christ Jesus our Lord.

1st Timothy 4:10 - This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance, that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Saviour of all people, especially of those who believe [in Jesus].

Romans 10:9 - If you honestly say, Jesus is my Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.... Anyone who trusts in [Jesus] will never be put to shame.

This is just a small sample of what the Bible teaches about salvation but it’s enough to show that salvation has nothing to do with being "good enough," whatever that's supposed to be. Now, no one is going to force you to believe this. God gives you the freedom to reject His offer of salvation. But please don’t go around saying the type of foolish things that people say at the top of this post. Be a grown-up and take responsibility for your future. Don’t pretend that your future is determined by something that the Bible doesn’t teach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a religious person but nevertheless interested in religion as a cultural and historical phenomenon, and faith as a way of life.

I'd like to start reading the bible... But I don't know how to go about it exactly. I don't want to misinterpret anything you know.

Thesauros said...

Hi, I just got back from a holiday and didn't see your comment until today. I don't know if you want some advice or just left a comment. If you want to talk some more, you can send me something at r.holmgren@sasktel.net