Saturday, April 26, 2008

Hey Atheist! Get Jesus or get out of the Army!

Some guy in the U.S. army has been told that, and it wasn't with only words. In fact he’s been told that in a far worse manner, via harassment by fellow soldiers. The harassment reached such a level that this young man feared for his safety. (Sigh) Christianity takes another blow from it’s supposed followers.

Actually, I know a tiny little bit about where this guy is coming from. I’ve worked in secular institutions for my whole career, so, as a Christian I’ve had to keep my head down and really concentrate on what it means to reflect Jesus’ love toward others. Nevertheless, when surrounded by those who are hostile to Christianity one’s light shines brighter than ever. In one such place the CEO was a full fledged shaman. He went on vision quests and had his own totem spirit - the whole deal. He hated Christians. To make a long story shorter, one day he told me that as long as I held to my Christian beliefs, I’d received the last promotion that I would ever get under him. Ironically, within the year he was let go for financial irregularities and I was promoted to Director of a different institution. Where was I going with that story? Oh ya - nowhere. It’s just a story.

Anyway, so many people who call themselves Christians put themselves in situations whereby they must learn a “Christ-like” attitude toward other people from non Christians. In this case, this young soldier, an atheist no less, nailed Jesus’ teaching perfectly. His goal was to seek the best for his fellow human beings regardless of their beliefs or race or any other qualifier.

The actions of the "Christian" soldiers and that of their Superiors is what happens when we as parents model for our children the Law of God instead of the Grace of God. It’s deadly. It’s hypocritical. It’s wrong, wrong, every time wrong.

No comments: