Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Is God Naive?

I’m heading to check my bags, as my plane is due to take off in about an hour. In the departure lounge I approach several dozen people who I’ve learned will be deplaning at the same destination as me. My proposition to them is this.

“I have several hundred thousand dollars that I want to take home with me. The money is all legit, but as you know, I can’t take that much through customs without having to go into a long song and dance about how I got it. So here is my address in Ourtown. Within a week or two after we all get home, I’d like you bring the money back to me and I’ll give you a gift for doing me this favour.” Oddly, no one declines my offer. They all pocket $20,000 and go back to their seats.

Am I being profoundly gullible, naive, stupid? Of course. I’ll be lucky if even one of those people bring my money back to me. Yet, isn’t this what God does for us?

. He gives us hands that work perfectly, touching, soothing, caressing, clutching. He’s given us these hands even though we might use them steal, or to physically harm another human being.

. He gives us eyes that are able to behold the wonders of the universe, express emotion, examine the beauty of a newborn child. God has given us these eyes, free of charge, yet we might use them to watch another person as though s/he was nothing but a sexual object. We might use them to help us plan to steal something that belongs to someone else.

. God gives us tongues that can sensitively taste, feel, explore. Or we might use them to form the sounds to curse our fellow man.

. God gives us minds that are able to search the available evidence and find Him, or we can use our minds to formulate reasons to deny our Creator’s existence.

. God gives us food beyond our imagination, and we are free to enjoy it, horde it, gorge ourselves with it, or give it away to those in need.

God is generous beyond imagination. He allows us to use His gifts for good or for evil.

No comments: