Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Prayer

O Father in heaven, who fashioned my limbs to serve you and my soul to follow hard after you, with sorrow and contrition of heart I acknowledge before you the faults and failures of the day that is now past . . .

My failure to be true even to my own accepted standards

My self-deception in the face of temptation

My choosing of the worse when I know the better

O Lord, please forgive, and create in me a clean heart

My failure to apply to myself the standards of conduct I demand of others

My blindness to the suffering of others and my slowness to be taught by my own

My complacence toward wrongs that do not touch my own case and my over-sensitiveness
to those that do

My slowness to see the good in my fellows and to see the evil in myself

My hardness of heart toward my neighbours’ faults and my readiness to make allowance of my own

My unwillingness to believe that You have called me to a small work and my brother to a great one

O Lord please forgive, and create in me a clean heart.

John Baillie - A Diary of Private Prayer.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Thanks for posting that! God bless.